Adding custom wheels

GTA:V Modding with ZModeler3 discussion.

Moderator: madga182

Adding custom wheels

Postby ZANTHERA » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:14 am

I would like to know if there is currently a tutorial or any info anyone can give me on creating custom rims that can be added to any car.

I have the wheel model from the 1970 Charger from GRID 2 but do not know where to start to make the wheel into one that can be used in GTA V.
ZANTHERA

Re: Adding custom wheels

Postby tall70 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:22 am

Import your wheel model, use wheel material on it. Optionally you can use some original gta5 tire, detach it from all wheel lods, use your rim and attach to those. Saves you time on all lods wheel mapping, if you happy with one of gta5 tire textures.
tall70
Beginner

Postby ZANTHERA » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:03 am

How do I assign a wheel material to it? I have literally never used ZModeler before. I tired to get it in game earlier but it just crashed it.
ZANTHERA

Postby Oleg » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:46 pm

I would suggest to make the following steps as the first meeting to modding:

1. import original vehicle (custom) wheel - the one you would like to be replaced. Toggle "L0" on "Structure" panel, switch object to vertices mode (press '1', hover and click the wheel in viewport), pick Modify\Move tool, hover any wheel vertex and move it away to create a "spike". then export this scene into the file named the same way as original; add modded file into the game via OpenIV and check in game. You should see a modded (spike) wheel in game.

2. another test, but it is very alike: Import original wheel, toggle L0 to see hi-res version. Now create a small box using "Cube" tool in primitives toolbox. a new object will be created. Select it by hovering and pressing Shift+S. (Tip: Shift+A to select all, Shift+D to deselect all; Shift+S to select/deselect hovered object). Now open materials browser by pressing green material sphere in main toolbox. Locate a material associated with original rim/disk. pick it, then drag&drop onto left side of materials browser onto a "Scene Selection" branch (it will probably show there "Scene Selection -> Default material" --> changing to --> "Scene Selection -> some_wheel_material_name"). You have assigned original wheel material onto a box. Now attach this box to original wheel using Modify\Attach tool (click on box in viewport, then click on wheel). wheel + box will become single object. Export, put into mod, test in game.

3. very alike to the test before, but this time the box object is not attached to the wheel, but will replace it. Use this video guide to find out how to compose and set up "Compound" objects: (you will need to use "Dismiss" button first, to disassemble original compound object first).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x07ZDfq0BA

Now, when you succeed in three modding lessons above, you can mover further and replace wheel with the custom model you have.
Note: the material you assign onto a wheel model must have "Adapt: vehicle_tire" specified on material tile in materials browser. this is the only acceptable material adaptation to use on a wheel in game.
Oleg
Site Admin

Postby ZANTHERA » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:42 am

I got the wheel to appear in game but since it does not have a proper texture yet it has the regular tyre texture stretched over it. I plan to make the rim Chrome but I'm not sure how to make a texture that will appear Chrome in game. Also for some reason my game crashed a lot more frequently since I've been doing this mod work despite only replacing one item in OpenIV.
ZANTHERA

Postby tall70 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:05 pm

Easiest instead of explaining would be again, find you original wheel in game which has chrome and see in UV mapper where chrome is mapped, then do same for your wheel.

Routines to use ZM will not come to you over night, it will take lots of small steps, some people learned this in few weeks, some months. It also helped me to use original car as template for everything. I started reusing it's materials, dummies, collisions. In my first tests i just changed original cars shapes and learned how to fix what i broke by doing that.
tall70
Beginner

Return to Grand Theft Auto V