Pre-lit help

SCS Software ATS and ETS2 editing using ZModeler3 filter. Models, Materials, Animation.

Moderators: Oleg, _RicH_

Pre-lit help

Postby iceroadlegend » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:09 pm

Hello

http://i.imgur.com/9GzmyZl.jpg

Looking for some help in regards to prelit. I have some parts that I have created. In game they look really bright when lookoing at them at certain angles. I tried preliting colour and shadow to black like in zm2 however it turns the object completly black unlike in zm2 where it turned it slightly grey. Maybe I'm doing some wrong here but hopefully someone could help me figure this out. Many Thanks
iceroadlegend

Re: Pre-lit help

Postby Oleg » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:09 pm

Oleg
Site Admin

Postby iceroadlegend » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:17 pm

Hi Oleg

Thank you for the relpy oleg it did the trick. However after doing the 20 0.4 step I get these black and light areas on my parts. This picture is with out textures. It also shows up like this in game. http://i.imgur.com/DW8lr7c.png
iceroadlegend

Postby Oleg » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:53 pm

looks like self-affecting artifact when some vertices drop shadow on vertices located very close to each other.
In any case, the preferred lighting calculation method is "Self shadows" rather than "Prelit". the tool is one to the right than you've selected.
Oleg
Site Admin

Postby iceroadlegend » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:12 pm

Hi Oleg

Only just realised that option was selected for the pic. I did use the option to the right as per the video and got the results in the second pic.
iceroadlegend

Postby Oleg » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:20 pm

switch object to vertices level, toggle on Snapping + snapping to vertices. then move vertices in problematic area one by one to ensure they snap and align perfectly. then apply SelfShadows again and check whether something changes or not.
Oleg
Site Admin

Postby iceroadlegend » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:53 pm

Hi Oleg

I gave the snapping + snapping to vertices tool ago. I moved vertices that were giving the shadow areas away then moved them back. Then reapplied the shadow zone and it still looked like the image above.
iceroadlegend

Postby Oleg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:24 am

send me your .z3d file, I'll take a look in nearest days.
Oleg
Site Admin

Postby iceroadlegend » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi Oleg

Just wondering if you have had a chance to look over the z3d file I sent to you

Thanks
iceroadlegend

Postby Oleg » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:11 pm

Hi. sorry for delay.

your mesh object has all vertices separated from each other and vertices affect one on another. This is probably a result of importing a OBJ or DAE created by 3DSMax. You should use an "optimize vertices" option when you import 3DSMax models into ZModeler.

At this point, you can use "Multiple Target" option of "Weld" tool to fix the problem. Switch object to verts level, select all verts and use this tool. a flyout window options are: distance = 0.00; UV tolerance = 1.00; normals angle = 20..60.

when vertices are disjoint, ZModeler draws solid wireframe lines in "Outline" viewport mode. If you see solid lines on unified surface, vertices are disjoint and this is a point to doubt whether model is Ok or not. An image below shows an original model and a result of using Weld/Multiple. You can see a dimmed wireframe on an object - it will give more accurate prelit result; as well as it drops vertices count and mesh/file size of your exported model too.

Using proper material configuration for the trailer allows to render a prelit color texture too (with some minor messing with your default uv mapping). a very draft and low-res shadows render can look like on an attached image.
Attachments
weld_vertices.jpg
prelit_render.jpg
Oleg
Site Admin

Postby iceroadlegend » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:14 pm

Hi oleg

Thank you for taking the time to have a look at my model. I have taken the steps mentioned in your post and have had good results. I will work on getting less vertiecs where needed. And just a quick question. How did you do the render in the second image, just so when i fix up a part I can check too see if it has corrected it self.
iceroadlegend

Postby Oleg » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:38 pm

1. change properties of meshes to have 2 uv mapping in vertices format;
2. edit uv#2 -> generate new -> copy from #1;
3. edit UV#1 -> keep old, disable=off; to restore uv mapping for all four sides in Uv mapper;
4. rearranged fragments so they do not overlap. especially vertical frame columns on each side - moved them aside so their UV does not lay on UV of underlying frame sheet.
5. render UV in UV Mapper in Ambient Occlusion mode; save as ao_color.dds;
6. convert material to dual diffuse + spec + env. DETAIL slot uses ao_color.dds on Manual UV Mapping #1; DETAIL2 uses your own texture on Manual UV Mapping #2 (copied from original UV#1 that you had on your model). Userdefined options: Mode = multiply.
7. assign correct Adaptation in material, so the exported material will utilize two texture slots.

note, you can configure material to have different livery textures in DETAIL2 on different states, so your trailer can keep rendered AO texture in DETAIL and swap livery overlay textures in DETAIL2 on different cargos/companies.

you can import original reefer trailer to see correct material settings for multy-texture materials.
Oleg
Site Admin

Postby iceroadlegend » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:09 pm

Hi Oleg

Was wondering what adaption I set for the above settings?

Thanks Ice
iceroadlegend

Postby Oleg » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:52 pm

dif.spec.mult.dif.spec with AO texture in DETAIL on UV#1 and paintjob skin on DETAIL2 on UV#2 (default = empty.dds).
Oleg
Site Admin

Return to ATS and ETS2 by SCS Software