Add a boolean tool to zmod?

Troubleshooting gudes, solutions and other ZModeler3-related discussion

Moderators: Oleg, madga182

Add a boolean tool to zmod?

Postby OfficerFive0 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:14 pm

Would it be possible to add a simple boolean tool to zmod? doesnt have to be complicated, just enough to cut a hole in a part. i know there is the slice tool, but that often just makes it all messy. most times when modeling something with a hole and such, i will start by creating the hole and work outwards, but that will often lead to wonky normals. with only a couple of exceptions i have modeled everything soley in zmod, so this is a problem i come across often.
OfficerFive0

Re: Add a boolean tool to zmod?

Postby Oleg » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:19 am

In most of cases, boolean requires closed solid volumes. it can't perform on arbitrary polygonal meshes. however, an "intersection of meshes" can be made, so both meshes get vertices/edges at common intersection lines: you will need to remove unnecessary polygons and merge objects together after performing such an "arbitrary meshes intersection" operation.

this can be put in my todo list, but will have a low priority. there are tasks that need to get sorted out currently.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Add a boolean tool to zmod?

Postby OfficerFive0 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:42 am

Oleg wrote:In most of cases, boolean requires closed solid volumes. it can't perform on arbitrary polygonal meshes. however, an "intersection of meshes" can be made, so both meshes get vertices/edges at common intersection lines: you will need to remove unnecessary polygons and merge objects together after performing such an "arbitrary meshes intersection" operation.

this can be put in my todo list, but will have a low priority. there are tasks that need to get sorted out currently.

that sounds prefect, thank you!
OfficerFive0

Return to ZModeler3 General discussion