Export Filter broke?

Modifications and related discussions forum

Moderators: Oleg, _RicH_

Export Filter broke?

Postby TDUZoqqer » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:03 am

Hey guys!

I have a huge problem with ZModeler in combination with Test Drive Unlimited 1 and I hope you can help me.

At some point it works good, exports everything fine, but if you merge any basic thing into the file (happened to me with FLR_**, Door panel dummies, Low resize Cockpit dummies etc), ZModeler is exporting the scene, but when you run the game and go in the garage to take the car out for a spin, the game crashes. Sometimes it crashes even by entering garage.
I got no objects with duplicated name, as the game would crash immediatly by entering the game / first visual contact with the car ingame if that would be the issue.

Sometimes even, ZModeler is exporting a huge file (once again, I got nothing duplicated), but if you try to import it back in ZModeler, the scene is empty. Every dummy is named correctly, also.

I got a key and a legal copy, purcahsed it 4 years ago. Also, this issues happen to all of my currect running ZModeler versions - 2.2.4, 2.2.6 and even 2.1.1
I'm kinda lost, as I know the support for ZM2 was stopped, and this problems happen to me now.

I hope you guys can help me, as you are my last hope.
Greetings, Zoqqer
TDUZoqqer

Re: Export Filter broke?

Postby Oleg » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:34 am

I would check the hierarchy and object names first. Then I would assign any *original* material onto imported/merged asset to ensure materials are not the cause. I can't remind specific limitation on TDU, so I can't say in what cases I had the game crash. I certainly had some during test exports while making the plugin, but these all were related to incorrect test exports, that are barely the case on release version.

Also, I could be wrong, but there could be some mismatching on material configuration and geometry format. For example, some material setup might require model to have 2 uV channels and you model have to supply them. Ensure your geometry object has the same "vertices format" (properties -> mesh -> vertices -> format) as the original object on the same material.
Oleg
Site Admin

Postby TDUZoqqer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:51 am

First of all thanks for the reply, but I checked the files and everything seems correct. The hierachy, the object names, count of UV channels etc.

I digged a bit deeper with my current mod now, and I got the following result:
I tried to import the low resize Cockpit (COCK_LR) with all it's dummies to the game. I just merged it from a file Atari made. Everything worked fine. Then I replaced the old 3D Objects with my new ones without touching the dummies. Still works fluent. I backuped this file. Then I moved the dummies to fix the position, and the game crashed. I replaced the BNK with the previous one which worked - the game also crashes.

I am lost. I really got no idea what to do. :( Oleg I really would appreciate it if you could help me with this issue. I could send you the file over if you want. But I really need this to be fixed.

Thanks!
TDUZoqqer

Postby Oleg » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:10 am

Unfortunately, I don;t have any TDU games installed on my Dev PC nowdays, so I can't make any tests on my own. I could only give some guideline points on how to port your vehicle into the game.

first of all, conversion should be very iterative with a very small piece at a time. I would recommend to retain original hierarchy and original materials for as long as possible. Get the original vehicle, make an import-export test to ensure it works fine. Then load your how-res cockpit model into the same scene and replace original model with your as follows:
1. use Display\Local axes\Copy tool to copy local axes from original to your object;
2. check the vertex format on original model and set up your object the same way.
3. assign original material(s) onto your object.
4. replace an object in hierarchy.

then export and test in game.

You replace the "geometry" only, so it's expected to appear in wrong position and have wrong materials, but the game should work fine with that model.

if it does, do the same with some other objects. finally, you should end up with original geometry completely replaced with yours, but dummies and axes locations could still be retained from original model. If it does work fine in such a scenario, then your geometry is not the cause of the game crashing and you can start over again. :) This time you can refine object axes and dummies axes too, but retain original materials applied to your geometry. if you end up with working in-game model, then object positions/axes and dummies position/axes are not the cause to.

Finally, materials are the most sensitive part of the model - convert them iteratively too. start by replacing textures on original materials with your own textures; then, if needed, create copies of materials if you need several similar materials for your model.
Oleg
Site Admin

Postby Minime891 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:19 am

I am having this problem now. Is it a windows update that is fucking this up or some thing else?

Did tduzoqqer ever tell you oleg what was wrong?
Minime891

Postby Oleg » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:15 am

There were no changes in the filter/exporter, so I can't be of much help on this subject. The problem could be related to video drivers update too. Also, try running the game in compatibility mode (if you run win10, try running in win7-compatibility mode).
Oleg
Site Admin

Postby Minime891 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:03 am

Thanks for the quick reply as always.

I have no idea what it could be but i sent the z3d file to one of the best tdu modders and he exported it fine. It's a strange one, i thought i must be doing some thing wrong as i spent some time away from modding.

Anyway it seems to be working at the moment but it does this then fails. If i ever find some thing that causes this i shall post here.
Minime891

Return to Test Drive Unlimited